Original document: Presentation Guide - Google Docs
Event Listing: Jamaican Developers Group (Kingston, Jamaica) | Meetup
EVENT OVERVIEW & PURPOSE
This meetup series aims to introduce persons to the different career paths in tech, their requirements and what to do to start or advance your professional journey in Tech.
About the event
- Venue: Online event (Zoom)
- Time: Third Tuesday of each month at 6 pm
- Demographics: Students, Entry Level and Intermediate Professionals
- Number of presenters: 3 - 4
- Presentation duration: 15 - 20 minutes presentation + 5 mins Q&A
- Event duration: 1 hour and 30 minutes
Things to include in your presentation:
- A brief history/background of yourself that led to your current career or job
- Description and responsibilities of your career/occupation
- Education/training required – (please emphasize the importance of life-long learning)
- Skills needed, i.e. good communication skills, hand-eye coordination, etc.
- Positive and negative aspects of your career/occupation (e.g., you like working outdoors)
- Salary range/pay (and benefits, as applicable)
- Any extracurricular activities in school and how they may have helped you
- Time for Q & A
Questions you might get from students:
- What are the major duties/responsibilities of your job?
- What training/education is required for this job?
- What are the “normal” hours of your job? If there is overtime, how much/often?
- What specific types of tools, equipment, and/or technology do you use on a regular basis?
- What led you to this job/career? If you have/had a role model or mentor, please tell me about them.
- What do you like most about your job? The least?
- What courses in middle/high school would help a student prepare for your job/career?
- What extra-curricular activities, volunteer work, and/or part-time job might help someone prepare for your job?
- What do you think your job/career will be like in ten years, especially in Jamaica?
- What is the employment outlook for this field of work and/or how difficult is it to find your type of job?
- What other occupations are related to your job/career?
- What advice would you give a student who is considering your type of job/career?